49 passengers escape death as Dana airplane overshoots runway at Port Harcourt

… Sirika Sympathises with Dana Air Passengers over Accident

The General Manager, Corporate Affairs, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mrs Henrietta Yakubu confirmed the incident in a statement issued in Lagos.

Indicated Yakubu: “A Dana aircraft flight 9J0363, flying from Abuja to Port Harcourt airport, has overshot the Port Harcourt runway.

“The incident was suspected to have been caused by a heavy rain, which was accompanied by rong wind and storm in Port Harcourt.

“No casualty was recorded, as all passengers on board were safely evacuated.”

Mr Sam Adurogboye, General Manager, Public Relations, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), also confirmed the incident, noting that the aircraft was patially damaged, after it overshot the runway.

“I learnt the runway has been closed but it will be reopened before the next 30 minutes after inspection has been carried out on it.

“Forty-nine passengers were on board and safely evacuated. The aircraft came in from Abuja to Port Harcourt”, he stated further.

Meanwhile the Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, has sympathised with passengers on the ill-fated Dana aircraft involved in an accident Tuesday at the Port Harcourt International Airport. 
Sirika, in a statement by the Deputy Director, Press & Public Affairs of the Ministry of Aviation, James Odaudu, said: “The Ministry sympathises with the passengers on the aircraft over the traumatic experience and assures that government will not abdicate on its commitment to the safety and security of lives and property in the Nigerian airspace.”
According to Sirika, “An aircraft operated by Dana Airlines was involved in an accident yesterday February 20th 2018 at the Port Harcourt International Airport.
“The aircraft, with the following details; 5N-SRI, Flight Number: 0348, Type: MD 83, souls: 54 including 05 crew landed at the Port Harcourt runway 21 and overran the runway at 1751 UTC.
“All onboard were evacuated safely with no reported casualties and the airport was briefly closed for safety reasons and reopened after proper assessment this morning.”

Post Comment